Welding spark ignites small grass fire
A small grass fire broke out on Old Highway 99 Wednesday morning.
The two-acre burn area was along the highway, near a Weed rest area. Both CAL FIRE and the Klamath National Forest Service, with the assistance of local government agencies, responded to put out the flames.
By early afternoon, the CAL FIRE Siskiyou Unit says that "forward progress" of the fire has been stopped. It took approximately two hours for the fire to be fully contained.
Crews are still on scene putting out hotspots. Additional aircraft has been sent back with the exception of one helicopter.
According to CAL FIRE Siskiyou Unit Fire Prevention Specialist Suzi Brady, the fire was accidentally ignited from a rancher who was welding.
No injuries were reported from this incident.