Care facility resident starts fire in kitchen, arrested for arson

Mary McKillop allegedly started a fire in the kitchen of her care facility. She is now charged with first degree Arson. (Courtesy: Josephine County Jail)

Friday morning, Grants Pass Department of Public Safety determined 66-year-old Mary Kimberly McKillop had started a fire in the kitchen of her residential care facility.

A house manager at 1644 Carnahan Drive put the fire out using a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived at the scene. According to GPDPS, staff at the facility followed emergency protocols in leading people out of the facility, resulting in no injuries.

Once firefighters arrived, they determined the fire had not spread to anywhere outside the kitchen.

McKillop is lodged in the Josephine County Jail and charged with first degree Arson. Her bail is set at $250,000.

News 10 reached out to the District Attorney for more details, but has not received more information at this time.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending