Police: Suspect named after gunshot at Foster Farms in Corvallis

Arrest of 22-year-old Adrian Nickerson alongside his booking photo - KATU image and BCSO photo.

Police took a man into custody Thursday morning after reports of gunfire at Foster Farms' processing facility in Corvallis.

Authorities identified the suspect as Adrian Nickerson, 22, of Albany. He's been charged with criminal mischief, discharging a firearm, menacing, and hit-and-run -- which stems from a crash he was involved in before he arrived at Foster Farms.

His arraignment is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Friday in Benton County court.

"At this point, we have not determined his full motive for the situation," said Capt. Nick Hurley of the Corvallis Police Department. "There's nothing that leads us to believe that he had any grievance with anyone at the Foster Farms."

Nickerson was a temporary employee at the plant.

There were no reports of injuries from the incident.

<="" sd-embed="">

Officers and deputies were called out at about 8:10 a.m. on reports of a person with a gun near the Foster Farms on Northwest 8th Street.

The 911 caller told dispatch that shots had been fired inside the food plant. Hurley later confirmed one gunshot was fired, and it happened in a women's restroom and wasn't directed at a person.

Officers were already at the plant investigating a minor traffic crash in front of the building just before that employee called 911 to report a man had a gun, threatened to blow up the building and then there was gunfire.

Police said they believe Nickerson was involved in that crash and had fled the crash scene.

He later exited the building and surrendered before the SWAT team could enter. He could face more charges as the investigation unfolds.

Police say most people had evacuated Foster Farms by the time officers arrived at the scene.

Authorities said they made the arrest at around 10 a.m., adding that Nickerson did not have a gun on him when he surrendered to officers.

Corvallis police called in Oregon State Police's SWAT team when they learned the suspect had barricaded himself inside the building. But while they were responding, a man came out and surrendered.

The SWAT team and officers still checked the building to see if there were any other suspects inside.

Officers asked nearby businesses to either evacuate or shelter in place.

“Everyone was talking and trying to keep good spirits. But yeah, it’s very stressful," said Agnes Meadows, who was under lockdown. When asked if she was scared, Meadows replied, "No, I trust the police and trust our security. I was fine.”

Video of the scene from Backwards Hat Media:

The law enforcement activity caused the Linn-Benton Community College Benton Center to go on lockout and the Toyota of Corvallis to go on lockdown. Toyota of Corvallis told KATU News that police told them to go into a lockdown because of an active shooter situation.

Foster Farms released the following statement regarding the incident:

At approximately 8:30 a.m. PDT, Foster Farms became aware of a potential active shooter at its Corvallis, Oregon, facility. Foster Farms prepares for emergencies of this nature, and all employees were promptly evacuated without injury. Authorities were immediately alerted, contained the site and apprehended an individual. The safety of our employees is our highest priority and Foster Farms will provide counseling and support services to its Corvallis employees. We are thankful this incident was concluded without harm to our employees or the greater community. We greatly appreciate local law enforcement's professionalism in quickly resolving the situation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off