Poor air quality forces football game schedule changes
As of 2:25 p.m., The football game between Ashland High School vs. Klamath Union High School will now be played on Saturday at Lakeview High School, kick off is at 3:00 p.m.
Klamath County School District has announced the following changes to football games scheduled for Friday, September 1st:
- Gilchrist School K-12 and Bonanza Jr./Sr. High School has been canceled.
- Varsity football game between Henley High School and Cascade Christian High School will be held in Lakeview at 7:00 p.m.
- Lost River Jr./Sr. High School and LaPine High School (at La Pine) will continue as scheduled at 7:00 p.m.
Medford School District 549c cancels Friday's opening football game at Spiegeberd Stadium due poor air quality conditions.
“We basically had three options regarding South’s scheduled home game vs. Wilsonville: take a chance hoping air quality will change by Friday and plan to play, cancel the game, or move the game,” said Medford School District Athletic Director Amy Tiger. “Obviously, playing at home is the first choice, but we can’t risk students playing in unhealthy air conditions. In order to make the option of moving the game work, we needed to make a decision by Wednesday.”
South Medford High school varsity football team will now travel to Wilsonville to play.
“Wilsonville was generous in hosting us and making the switch. We are grateful, “said South Medford High School Athletic Director Tim Rupp.
The Medford High School District will continue to monitor air quality and following guidelines for holding outdoor activities by OSAA and the Oregon Health Authority.
Games rescheduled or moved:
- Crater vs. Soldotna (AK) -- Moved to Del Norte High School in Crescent City, CA. Friday, Time TBD
- Eagle Point vs. Glencore -- Moved to Del Norte High School in Crescent City, CA. Thursday, 7 PM
- South Medford vs. Wilsonville -- Moved to Wilsonville High School. Friday, 7 PM
- Phoenix vs. Crook County -- Moved to Sutherlin High School. Friday, 7 PM
- North Valley vs. Brookings-Harbor -- Moved to Del Norte High School in Crescent City, CA. Saturday, 2 PM
- Cascade Christian vs. Henley -- Time changed to 8 PM @ US Cellular Community Field, Medford -- Friday